Monday, March 31, 2014

Giggles in Germany



Kelly had been on British soil for just about 24 hours when our flight for Germany took off.  We went to visit our cousin, Ariel, and her husband Jan.



Oh, you went to Germany to visit your cousin? How was it?  What was it like?

(Sometime I have conversations with you guys in my head. The fact that I hold up your end of our imaginary conversation in my head should in no way deter you from leaving comments with your actual thoughts, though!  I love comments!)

How was it, you ask?  What was it like?  It was like this.

 
And this...
 

 And a lot of this


 
We went on a walk under this
 

...and by this..
 
 
...and this...

 
...and up a hill and under this again.
 


We rode a lot of these


 
Over, under, around, and through scenery like this...
 

I ate this, which was amazing...
 
 
And I saw this...
 
 
...which was COVERED with these.
 
 
And we capped it all off with a rousing game of this.
 
 


The best part was definitely these two.
 
 
They're so great.  I'm glad that they found each other, and that they got married. I'm not so happy that they live in Germany, because it is so far away, but at least it's a good excuse to visit Germany.  I probably would not have come if they were not here, but I'm so glad I did!  I wasn't sure I would like Germany, but I actually really liked it a lot!  I might even be tempted to live here, except that EVERYTHING is in German. (Crazy, right?). I haven't been in a country where I don't understand anything for a long time. Maybe since 2005 when I went to Sri Lanka?  It is so disconcerting! I kept walking up to signs, expecting to be able to read them, then suddenly remembering I can't.  Good thing we had Ariel and (especially) Jan.  Jan is German, so that's helpful in getting around.  Also, that's why these two live in Germany.  But he has very good English-- in fact he makes his living by teaching English. 
 
Jan is so much fun!  He can dish it out AND he can take it.  I think we'll keep him.  Now if only I convince them to move closer to me...
 
And (in case you haven't gathered this), Ariel and I get along pretty well.  So much laughing. So many giggles.  We definitely made a spectacle of ourselves, but boy did we have fun doing it!  I have a few people in my life that I can just exchange a simple glance with and we dissolve into laughter.  It makes others paranoid sometimes, because they're like "Did I miss something? What happened?  What's so funny?"
 
No, you didn't miss anything.
Nothing happened.
Nothing's funny.
 
We're just a mess.  And we think life's more fun when you're laughing.  So we laugh.
 
Ariel and I figured out we hadn't seen each other in 4 years... and nothing has changed.  Well, ok, some things have changed, like she got married and move to a foreign country.  But it has only increased the giggle-factor! 
 
Before Kelly and I went to Germany, my mom asked me if Jan knew was he was getting into.  Apparently Ariel's mom asked Jan the same thing.  I don't think he did know, but he was a gracious host and it was a pleasure to meet him.
 
Thank you so much, Ariel and Jan, for hosting us!  I had such an amazing time, and my time in your home was very refreshing after living in a hotel for a month.
 
Family- if you have ever thought of visiting Ariel in Germany, YOU TOTALLY SHOULD.  She'll show you a great time.  I give their accommodations 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment